Monday, June 8, 2015

Event 5: Breathing Light

This past Friday, me and a few of my friends made the arduous drive down Wilshire to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.  After waiting in traffic for some time, we bought our tickets for the LACMA and signed up for the hour-long wait to see James Turrell's Breathing Light Exhibit.  Thanks to this hour of waiting I was able to explore the museum with my pals and we found works from world famous artists like Picasso, Monet, and even Andy Warhol.  But after the hour elapsed, we ventured over to the James Turrell exhibit where we were greeted by the fellow pictured below with the iPad.  He checked us in, and told us we were to wait to be called in.  When we were finally called into the room with the exhibit, they had us all take off our shoes and place them in the cubbies beneath us after putting on white booties over our socks.  Then we were instructed to walk up the stairs into the exhibit, and to not get within 5 feet of the walls or edge.  The exhibit was a large, white room with curved sides, designed to eliminate the viewer's depth perception.  After talking a little with the workers at the exhibit, they informed me that James Turrell’s art is a nexus for the worlds of art, science, architecture, astronomy, mathematics, archaeology, and spirituality.  A lot of these worlds are topics that we have covered in this quarter's curriculum.  Overall, Breathing Light was a really cool experience from my perspective.  I especially enjoyed "zoning out" looking at the back wall of the exhibit, making the color of the walls the only thing in my line of sight.  After staring at this wall for a while, and after the color of the exhibit changed a few times, my brian began creating shadowy images against the colorful backdrop.  I saw shadows of people begin to form on the back wall, and I was in awe.  I really enjoyed the exhibit and have been raving about it to all my friends ever since.  I think anyone and everyone should definitely go see this exhibit at some point.  



No comments:

Post a Comment